Your Online Camping Family

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10719 - 03/02/13 04:37 PM I love our Open Range, but...
pyromug Offline
Lerch RV Customer
Overnight Camper

Loc: Everett, PA
we will probably never purchase another one!

Let me go back, we love our Open Range! I remember the first time I saw this model in 2008. We sold our Conquest travel trailer and the truck we had at the time to save up to be able to purchase an Open Range 335 and a truck that could pull it (and would match the dark gray on the OR). We got the truck in September 2010 and picked up our Open Range on November 11, 2010 and have camped many nights in it since then (Last year alone it was over 75 nights!) And we love showing it to fellow campers we have met along the way.

As we look a few years ahead to purchasing our next RV, I will not purchase an Open Range for one reason - the company did not stand behind their product. When we had our inspection done last November, our service technician pointed out an issue with the boards under the glide outs getting water logged due to a design flaw. Our wonderful dealer did try to have it covered under warranty, but our warranty period was up. My problem is that this is a design flaw that Open Range was aware of and did nothing to rectify. The repair and fix to avoid more water damage cost us over $1000.

We have lots of camping planned for 2013 and already for 2014. I will love spending it in our Open Range 335 BHS, but when the time comes for a new one, we may have to buy a new truck to match a different brand as Open Range is no longer in the running!

Don't Want To See These Ads Anymore? Register a New User... Members don't have to see these ads !
#10721 - 03/03/13 01:14 AM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: pyromug]
CampingPA Ranger Offline
CPA Owner
Spend More Time Camping than Working

Loc: Cresson, PA
That's too bad Pyro...

It is a good thing the dealer tried to sway them for you, and it is a good thing you don't hold the dealer in bad regard for the manufacturers problems.

What was the design flaw that caused the damage...

Let everyone here know so they can check theirs and have it repaired before their warranty runs out, and or they have a similar issue...

Thanks for sharing...

MORE FREE CAMPING GIVEAWAYS THAN ANY OTHER SITE
Become a Member Today and Get Updates on FREE CAMPING !
SIMPLY CLICK HERE TO BECOME A MEMBER

Tell your friends, family and other campers...
Come On Over, We'll Keep The Fire Burning For Ya!

Camper: 2014 Keystone Fuzion 310 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler- Ask Us to See It !
Tow Vehicle: 2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLT 2500HD - Duramax Diesel

#10730 - 03/04/13 11:07 AM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: pyromug]
BCM Offline
Tent Camper

Loc: Northeastern PA
We have a 2006 Fleetwood Wilderness, purchased brand new. Only problems we had were on our big yearly trip to Maryland two summers ago... It virtually self-destructed, from massive wiring issues, to failed slideout motor, right down to one of the bunks falling off the wall!

All has been repaired, but I'm leary to this date with each trip. Doesn't help that I found our replacement unit, but can't justify the expense. Unless, of course, it has another summer of discontent. :D

Would I get another Fleetwood? If they were still making them, you betcha! This is our second.

#10735 - 03/04/13 05:55 PM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: pyromug]
HappyCamper2 Offline

Camping is My Life

Loc: Juniata county, PA
Wow........you are brave LOL... we have not had any serious problems yet. Just one minor problem found during inspection, seems the bearings in one of the wheels were cracked and leaking greast down over the brake or something like that which was covered under our warranty. Crossing my fingers our luck holds out.
-------------------
2013 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab
2011 Summerland trailer 26ft

#10746 - 03/05/13 09:18 PM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: CampingPA Ranger]
pyromug Offline
Lerch RV Customer
Overnight Camper

The problem was that on the glide outs, the water would "funnel" under to the exposed wood, causing it to be water logged. Had we not done anything, the wood would have rotted out. Our wonderful Lerch technician put "L" shaped to block the water from getting to the wood and redid all the caulking on the glide out. I will try to upload a picture.

#10747 - 03/05/13 09:19 PM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: HappyCamper2]
pyromug Offline
Lerch RV Customer
Overnight Camper

Thank goodness for those yearly inspections! They are more important than you might think!

#10749 - 03/06/13 09:26 AM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: pyromug]
Lerch RV Offline
Compare our Prices and Save!
Spend More Time Camping than Working

Loc: Milroy, PA
There are three times every RV/camper owner should visually inspect their coach including the roof: preparing it for the first use after winter storage, prior to putting it away for winter storage and when the unit is getting the required state inspection.(although units permanently parked and in different states do not require an inspection) Use a reputable RV dealer for your inspections, a technician with a keen eye might miss something that you overlooked during one of your walk arounds.

Remember we make Buying Easy!

#15411 - 09/12/13 02:56 PM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: pyromug]
openrange397 Offline
Lerch RV Customer
Tent Camper

Loc: Pa
We had a similar issue with the boards under the slide out, but luckily ours was covered by the warranty. He did have another issue that they would not help with, that I have been told Open Range has had issues with. Our air conditioning unit failed right after the warranty ran out and had to be totally replaced. We would have most likely had more warranty, but took advantage of the RV show discount, which cost us 5 months of warranty. Had we waited until the time we actually took delivery, it most likely would have been under warranty still. Had been told by others at different campgrounds that it was a problem with their units.

#15423 - 09/12/13 06:42 PM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: pyromug]
HappyCamper2 Offline

Camping is My Life

Hm, shame, and they look so elite.....guess that old adage that you get what you pay for does NOT always hold true. You know , you would think if you bought a lesser unit you might have these issues, but when you buy top of the line, you don't expect these things and worse you expect the manufacturer to respect your money and stand by what they make.
-------------------

#15432 - 09/12/13 07:42 PM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: HappyCamper2]
rich Offline

Here for The Week

Loc: birdsboro,pa.
new campers are like grab bags,you never know what your gonna get,that's why this time around buying we went cheaper.my last 2 campers(Nash and Sunline) had been upper level campers supposedly and so far that has not really worked out in my favor.

#15446 - 09/14/13 08:50 AM Re: I love our Open Range, but... [Re: pyromug]
HappyCamper2 Offline

Camping is My Life

That is part of the reason we started low end. We wanted to see first off if were going to camp a lot, and we do. We wanted to see how they worked, what type of things failed etc. We looked at reviews for awhile on different campers. We went to the keystone forum and watched for various problems, of what type and how often you saw the same problem, things like mechanical failures and design flaws. Our camper is low end, if you will, like a beginners model. We have been very lucky so far so good,no problems at all. We did have an episode of a cracked bearing which was covered under the warranty. That was it.
-------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lerch RV 
Advert
FREE Stickers - Get Other CPA Gear Here !

Just hot off the press

Check it out!

Click For More Info
ALSO - Check out our new Interactive Campgrounds Map
Become a Member - FREE -

Join today... For Your Chance To Win !

Click here

To Join Your Online Camping Family Today !

Our Virtual Campfire... Come Join Us !
Type in the box and Click Share...

Members At The Campfire
0 Members (), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hankyk, Thumper, Just_Call_Me_Al, Mobile_hermit, schmuttis
1138 CampingPA Members
Most Recently Posted
Upcoming events
Campground News
Random Pictures
Forum Stats
1138 Members
111 Forums
8612 Topics