Tubing

Posted by: Grizzly Girl

Tubing - 06/28/13 07:00 PM

We are planning on doing some tubing this weekend. Has anyone ever heard of the rivers being too high for tubing? That is one thing I am afraid of right now with all the rain that everyone is getting.
Posted by: HappyCamper2

Re: Tubing - 06/28/13 07:52 PM

I think most rivers that offer tubing are usually ones that are not affected much by reasonable storms and high waters...those that get an exceptional amount usually wont run the river until it recedes a bit. We went to point pleasant one year when it was pretty swift but we had no problems. I was about 18 then,...so that was roughly a year ago hahhahah, just kidding more like 36 years ago but they are still operating!

Re: Tubing - 06/28/13 07:55 PM

the reason I was asking is all because we are heading north next weekend and they seem to be getting hit pretty hard right now with rain.

Re: Tubing - 06/28/13 08:08 PM

but it runs down hill LOL, so by next week, the waters might be up here in this area but should be ok up there

Re: Tubing - 06/28/13 08:16 PM

lol i think right now i am hoping that it stops raining soon so I can get the camper all ready for an extended weekend so we can go tubing since we just went and got a good bit of tubes this week. lol

Re: Tubing - 06/28/13 08:22 PM

I had a big double rainbow in my valley tonight ,was so beautiful, the sun was shining so bright coming down thru the wet valley and the clouds and all made it even more gorgeous
Posted by: mikhen

Re: Tubing - 06/29/13 06:41 PM

I thought you needed snow for tubing. think
Posted by: sorefoot

Re: Tubing - 06/29/13 10:47 PM

Grizzly Girl where are you planning on going tubing?

Re: Tubing - 06/29/13 10:55 PM

wow , went down to Harrisburg to Costco today and out to dinner....the Susquehanna was really high

Re: Tubing - 06/30/13 07:51 AM

We r planning on going by cooks forest this upcoming weekend.

Re: Tubing - 06/30/13 03:03 PM

BE CAREFULL! I just read in the paper where a man may have drowned in the Delaware river near Knowlton NJ.River was several feet above normal due to heavy rain up-stream.

Re: Tubing - 06/30/13 06:03 PM

ya I see more rain is coming....I think I might rethink the tubing this week anyway

Re: Tubing - 06/30/13 08:47 PM

That is what we are wondering I have a feeling that we are going to have to really check out the river before we go in it exp with having some kids with us

Re: Tubing - 06/30/13 09:51 PM

Do some safety drills Make sure everybody knows how to float on their backs with a lifejacket on and knows to keep their feet up and pointed down stream.Most drownings happen because somebody tries to stand up after falling out of a tube or boat in fast water and getting a foot stuck between some rocks and pulled under. Just rember,relax ,lay back ,feet up and pointed down stream and don't try to stand till you reach slow calm water.

Re: Tubing - 06/30/13 09:57 PM

Do some safety drills Make sure everybody knows how to float on their backs with a lifejacket on and knows to keep their feet up and pointed down stream.Most drownings happen because somebody tries to stand up after falling out of a tube or boat in fast water and getting a foot stuck between some rocks and pulled under. Just rember,relax ,lay back ,feet up and pointed down stream and don't try to stand till you reach slow calm water.

Re: Tubing - 07/01/13 06:21 AM

I will deff remember your tips I know this is my first time going but hubby and the other family we are going with has gone tubing before but I love and appreciate the tips you gave me I know they will come in hand for all of us

Re: Tubing - 07/07/13 08:48 PM

Well we did go tubing this past weekend. I would have to say we all had a great time. The river was just below where they would not let anyone go down so at least it was not low either. Would defently do it again
Posted by: pyromug

Re: Tubing - 07/07/13 10:24 PM

Before you go out again, you can check the water levels in the river you plan to tube...as kayakers we live by these levels! It also lists the flood stage for that river so you can judge by that. If you google water trail and your river, you can see a map of the river/creek with launches. We have a few canoe books that detail the pa water trails and give a minimum level for paddling it (something like Paddle PA and PA Canoeing)
Here is a link to the USGS site...there is a map of PA and you can click on the river you want to tube...
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/rt
BTW...If you are near Huntingdon PA, a great tubing river is the Raystown Branch of the Juniata below the Raystown Lake Dam from Corbins Island to the Point. There is always water to run this 4 mile section and there are many put in/take outs along this stretch to shorten the run if you wish.

Re: Tubing - 07/08/13 06:10 PM

I just heard on the news this morning that a 22 year old male was white water rafting with a reputable outfitter on the Youghengheny river , the raft capsized and though he was wearing all the correct protective gear, his body has not been found....yet. Tragic , so tragic.

Re: Tubing - 07/08/13 06:53 PM

Thank u for the info pyromug I will defently keep that site in mind for future reference

Re: Tubing - 07/09/13 10:36 PM

Happy to hear you had a good time and are ready to go again.

Re: Tubing - 07/10/13 06:08 AM

We are defently ready to go again. I believe we are planning another trip when we go camping the first week of Aug can't wait