Bacon wrapped hot dog bites

Posted by: HappyCamper2

Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 07/27/13 02:57 PM

Ingredients:

9 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, cut in half
6 OSCAR MAYER Wieners, cut into thirds
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 bottle texas pete wing sauce. (not the skinny hot sauce bottle, the other one)
wooden toothpicks

Making it:

Line a cookie sheet or pan with foil for easy clean-up (sugar makes it sticky)
HEAT oven to 400F.

Mix sugar and hot sauce
WRAP 1 bacon piece around each wiener piece; roll in mixture to evenly coat.Use wooden toothpicks to hold bacon on the dog bites.
PLACE, seam-sides down, in foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
BAKE 22 to 24 min. or until bacon is crisp and golden brown, turning after 12 min.

OR:

put in crock pot toothpicks and all, on high for an hour, low for two hours.

BIG Hit at family gatherings. I have made them several times and they are always the first to go. I can never seem to make enough.

***Update: I made these today for the Penn State E. Michigan game, I added a tad of tobacco sauce and when ready to eat, I put a little horseradish sauce on my plate as a dipping sauce, mmm mmm good !!! ****
Posted by: sorefoot

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 07/27/13 03:57 PM

My wife thinks they sound pretty good.I'll have to try making them in the burger basket over some coals from the campfire.
Posted by: mikhen

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 07/27/13 04:16 PM

careful doing them over a fire. They flare up nicely.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 07/27/13 05:25 PM

Ya, I wouldn't recommend trying them over a fire with dripping bacon grease...but these are one of my favs. My dad used to make these in the crockpot every Christmas eve for the family party.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 07/27/13 06:13 PM

you get a shovel or 2 of hot coals from the fire and keep the burger basket high enough over them that you get heat and smoke but no flames and you can move the basket if you get a flareup.I make texas tommies(hotdogs with cheese and wrapped with bacon)and bacon wrapped scallops the same way.
Posted by: CampingPA Ranger

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 07/27/13 08:04 PM

OK... Someone better make me them Friday night at our Smaores Gathering at Mt Vista now...

You made me hungry for them !!! And I never had them before, thats bad !

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 07/28/13 05:38 AM

OK, I will make them but I don't know how to make them over a fire....sorefoot, gee wiz, I have been camping with the wrong people, I want to camp with sorefoot...no joke. Bacon wrapped scallops are one of my four food groups LOL...now I want them, thanks sorefoot! hahahha
Posted by: openrange397

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/18/13 04:27 PM

Boy these went really quick at the members weekend.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/18/13 05:30 PM

lol

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/19/13 06:45 PM

shuddup rofl

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/19/13 06:46 PM

ok I have to redeem myself, I will make em for October, ok ? if I forget I am only 7 miles from home so I can always run home and make them haahhahaa

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/19/13 06:51 PM

Well since I won't be there in October, bring them to Twin Grove in September.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/19/13 07:31 PM

ok will do read

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/19/13 07:32 PM

wait, hold the phone.... just saw one more time where sorefoot makes bacon wrapped scallops on the fire, I might have to stalk him

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/27/13 06:17 PM

Think I need to talk my mother in law into making pumpkin whoopie pies for the October weekend. kettle

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/27/13 07:09 PM

Whoopie pies are one of Bill's four food groups....I don't like the pumpkin ones though, I am too old fashioned. In fact, I don't even like whoopy pies. since they will be local made though, save me one hahahaha
Posted by: 3dogsacampin

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/27/13 10:24 PM

My husband looks forward to getting Whoopie pies when we go camping in the Lancaster Area. His favorite are the normal and chocolate chip cookie ones.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 08/28/13 05:07 AM

Those trucks and vans that drive through the campgrounds in that area have some good food.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/06/13 05:50 PM

OPen Range,bring us some homemade chicken pot pie, never mind, maybe I will make some...im getting hungry now

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/06/13 06:48 PM

I just had shrimp stir fry at Twin Grove's restaurant. I usually don't bring any food home. That filled me up, and I brought half of it back to the camper. Very good.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/07/13 08:50 AM

I was going to come down this weekend, but wasn't feeling so good yesterday, had a massive headache...crunch time at work but we met our deadline ...yipppy!!

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/07/13 02:18 PM

***Update: I made these today for the Penn State E. Michigan game, I added a tad of tobasco sauce and when ready to eat, I put a little horseradish sauce mixed with a little Dijon mustard on my plate as a dipping sauce, mmm mmm good !!! ****

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/10/13 03:18 PM

OOOH Happy that sounds good. Are you just teasing us again though?

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/11/13 08:49 AM

Barb, you don't have to stalk me. If you came north after the members weekend I would have let you work for food.I made bacon wrapped scallops and shrimp,shrimp scampi,blackened tenderloin with blue cheese and a bunch of other good stuff.Just got home and running a 24 hr laundry marathon.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/11/13 07:18 PM

OpenRange............now would I tease you ? Hahah. don't answer that. Told you, if I forget to bring them to buttonwood, I will run home and make them, there are only two turns from buttonwood to my house, depending on which way I go, five to seven miles from home...maybe 4 as the crow flies. I will bring them I promise.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/11/13 07:19 PM

Sorefoot........work? me ? you will let me? silly boy, extorsion is for criminals.....and it is a crime to make that much good food on one camping trip. There should be a law.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/11/13 08:09 PM

I think these hot dog bites are just an urban legend.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/12/13 02:44 PM

Poor Happy getting all this harassment. I am sure she deserves it though.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/12/13 06:45 PM

oh and did I mention, I don't share with meanies,..... now....let's see, ranger don't get any, open don't get any.....more for me, and we all know I need that. rockin and I am going to eat them in front of you all. That's the best part...sweet revenge

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/12/13 07:05 PM

So let's see , in addition to the post above, my menu included orange creamsicle cake, steak on the grill, home grown maters, butter n parsley new taters made on the fire....oh yes then there were my breakfast plans....bacon, eggs, pancakes Saturday morning and THE MESS for sunday morning like they have at the corner deli in thompsontown..onions green peppers, sausage, bacon, potatoes smothered in American cheese......schlllllpppp yummy! pancake

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/14/13 08:53 AM

Giggles, look how this quieted everyone down....uh huh, they are all drowning in their tears now, grieving over what might have been rofl

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/14/13 10:14 AM

Or maybe they are up to something.

Re: Bacon wrapped hot dog bites - 09/14/13 06:09 PM

lift they can bring it on happydance