What book are you reading ?

Posted by: HappyCamper2

What book are you reading ? - 04/04/13 06:02 PM

I thought I would start a discussion on books. My husband and I are both avid readers and often look for great books to read. Right now he is reading the latest John Grisham book, and I just finished reading " My extraordinary ordinary life" by Sissy Spaceck which was a wonderful nostalgic book and a real page turner with lots of humor and it was really well written by this talented actress. I always take my kindle camping with me so I can access several books or even buy a new one while I am camping.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 04/07/13 07:29 AM

Starting "My Life in Pictures" by Temple Grandin. For those of you that don't know who Temple is, she holds a PhD in animal science/biology and remarkably she has Asperber's syndrome, one of the disorders in the Autism spectrum.
Posted by: CampingPA Ranger

Re: What book are you reading ? - 04/07/13 11:44 AM

None... I hate reading books... thumbs

About the only thing I read while I am out camping is posts on CampingPA.com and other sites on the internet...

lol

Re: What book are you reading ? - 04/07/13 12:16 PM

Not even on the can ? lol
Posted by: mikhen

Re: What book are you reading ? - 04/07/13 01:16 PM

Neither my wife or me read books. My 10 year old loves to read. No idea where she got that from.
I have 1 book on my phones Kindle app. And of course, it is about camping and rving tips and stuff.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 04/14/13 06:11 AM

Finished Temple Grandin's book. It was not a difficult read but it is complex to try and understand the mind of an autistic. Fascinating information but probably wouldnt interest the average person. If you have a child or know a child or an adult with Asperger's syndrome (high functioning autism) , it is an insightful read and I would highly recommend it. These children are often misunderstood and have tremendous social difficulties.

On to the next book....

Re: What book are you reading ? - 04/23/13 08:44 PM

Gee, am I the only person that reads books ? Seriously ?
Posted by: DianeScraps

Re: What book are you reading ? - 04/23/13 09:09 PM

I used to read all the time. Now I have such a hard time finding time.

Some of my favorites:

Girl with a Pearl Earring

the Beverly Lewis Amish books

the Women of Genesis series by Orson Scott Card

Nora Roberts

Re: What book are you reading ? - 04/24/13 05:32 PM

I see alot of Nora Roberts books that I think about reading, but never have. I like biographies and things that interest me medically like phsychology, reference type books, and inspirational books. My daughter and husband both like John Grisham, spy type mystery thriller kind of books.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 05/11/13 07:45 PM

Starting a new book about Secretariat...while I was never a thoroughbred fan, I am a huge fan of this horse for his remarkable abilities. This is a great read for any age. Kids would love it too. It's about Secretariat's groom and the great personal bond he had with this horse.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 05/12/13 08:35 AM

I'll have to get that one for my daughter. She loves horses. She is in the middle of 2 books right now. And of course she picks different stories from the Charlie Adams books to read. He is a local author who writes about different hauntings and such from primarily Berks County, but has done other parts of Pa and the east coast.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 05/12/13 10:00 AM

Mike, let me know what she might be interested in regarding horse, my house is full of horse stuff from decor, to sheets, to knick knacks to books to videos. If she loves horses , I highly recommend CLOUD OF THE ROCKIES videos from the nature program on PBS, marty stouffer and a lady friend of his followed a band of wild horses and kept an essential video diary of this stallion she named cloud...its beautifully done, there are also books about cloud if i am not mistaken...but at any rate, i also have tons of horse jewelry as you might guess having horses since i was six years old has given me quite a collection to get rid of LOL. I will see what I can bring along for her for member's weekend...wish I still had my horses, you could bring her over anytime if I did....and PS, dont buy the book Mike, she can have this one when I am done with it.
Posted by: sorefoot

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/18/13 08:23 PM

I have been reading some really old books that remind me of my grandfather's stories.Two Little Savages by Ernest Thompson Seton, you can down free from project guttenburg.It is a story about 2 boys who spend the summer camping in the woods and trying to learn to live like the indians.slow start but a great campfire read.Just finished Minutes of the Lower Forty by Corey Ford and The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark. They all take place in the late 1800s to about 1940.These stories are best read out loud around a campfire to a bunch of kids.
Posted by: rich

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/18/13 08:36 PM

I'm with Ranger I hate reading books,magazine articles or news tidbits are ok, but if I read a story book I could not tell you what the story was about after I read it dunno

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/18/13 11:34 PM

Rich, I think Jake would really enjoy The Old Man and the Boy and the other books I mentioned.They are about hunting and fishing and growing up in a different time.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/19/13 07:54 PM

Oh wow! I would love to read that one sorefoot! I will have to download it. I am so glad to see people posting in this thread..I was starting to think it was a bad idea...and Mike, I am bringing along that Secretariat book for your little girl , I left it in the camper so I can give it to her on members weekend!

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/19/13 07:57 PM

People posting in this thread.... rofl....the majority of us are posting how we don't read.
But at least it's getting some traffic.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/19/13 08:45 PM

oh hush!!! throw
Posted by: rich

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/19/13 10:00 PM

will have to hunt some of them books down for Jake
Posted by: dgsummy

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/25/13 08:38 AM

I wish I had time to read more...right now I'm reading The Strong Willed Child, just for some insight on parenting our two year old. Oh, how I'd love to read a novel just for the fun of it!

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/25/13 01:26 PM

For Barb.Two Little Savages free ebook at gutenburg.org/ebooks/13499

Re: What book are you reading ? - 06/26/13 06:56 PM

Thanks sorefoot! Can't wait to download this one.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 07/09/13 10:18 PM

A Season on the Allegheny free download over at Hunting Pa.com in the general hunting forum.limited time offer by the author for HPA members
Posted by: Grizzly Girl

Re: What book are you reading ? - 07/23/13 10:53 AM

Thanks to sorefoot I have now start to read Two Little Savages. I will have to say that it is quit a good book and hard to put down. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Posted by: bfg344

Re: What book are you reading ? - 07/23/13 01:49 PM

Thank you for the tip on free ebooks
Posted by: supergrams24712

Re: What book are you reading ? - 07/23/13 04:42 PM

Thanks for passing it on.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 07/23/13 05:38 PM

Well thanks goodness someone is using this forum/thread...hehehee finally!!
Posted by: Grizzly Girl

Re: What book are you reading ? - 07/23/13 05:47 PM

I started to find a lot of them on Amazon for free. Next I will be reading all the huckleberry fin books I loved them back in school

Re: What book are you reading ? - 07/23/13 05:58 PM

I didnt know anything was free any more.I love to read and my daughter is an avid reader.I always love your tips.Thanks

Re: What book are you reading ? - 07/23/13 06:05 PM

Kindle has quite a few free books, as does Ebooks and oh gosh, just look online, tones of sites for free ebook downloads...even your I -phones have them , go to the app store on your I-phone and type free ebooks in the search bar

Re: What book are you reading ? - 07/23/13 06:19 PM

Thank you Happy Camper 2 for your tip.I thought your name was that because you were happy.Now I know its because you make others Happy!

Re: What book are you reading ? - 08/01/13 10:09 PM

Just downloaded a book day before yesterday and finished it already..> "Miracle in the Making: The Adam Taliaferro story", good book but I think just a couple things were inaccurate...

Re: What book are you reading ? - 08/14/13 06:34 AM

Still haven't finished sorefoot's recommendation, currently working on " A thorn in my pocket" , very very good book.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 09/18/13 06:45 PM

Still reading sunshine and shadow by Jan Howard...wonder if Mike's daughter ever read that Secretariat book I gave her?

Re: What book are you reading ? - 09/18/13 07:30 PM

She is in the process of reading it. She was doing real well with it, until school and cheerleading got in the way.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 09/18/13 07:31 PM

And of course the other night with cheerleading practice and 3 hours of homework didn't help, either.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 09/25/13 07:53 PM

I just used my Visa Card rewards points to buy a new kindle fire. I have a kindle touch. Hubby has the fire. Since I have trouble with my eyes, using the web on my I phone is hard, hubby thought I should treat myself so I did. A friend of mine I work with who lives just down the road in Perry county has borrowed my kindle touch for about two months. She just gave it back to me. I know she cannot afford a kindle, so hubby and I were talking and decided since I was getting a new kindle free, I will give my kindle touch to my friend. She seemed to enjoy it while she had it and I can't think of a more deserving friend and know she will appreciate it. IN the meantime, my free one won't be delivered until October 2nd. Not sure I will like it, as I was pretty attached to my black and white no backlight kindle touch. I love it. I clip an itty bitty book light to the top of mine so I don't really need it backlit. I use it every night when we are camping. They are so nice and light weight.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 09/25/13 07:58 PM

That's nice of you.

Re: What book are you reading ? - 10/11/13 07:50 AM

Just finished reading "What it means to be a Nittany Lion" and also

" Pride of the Lions ", both very good books if you are a Penn State fan or Alum

Re: What book are you reading ? - 01/04/14 09:06 AM

I can honestly say I just read my first book. Well, E book actually. I am a big Trans Siberian Orchestra fan and their producer, Paul O'neil, released "Merry Christmas, Rabbi" in Novemeber. It was a free download if you preordered concert tickets. So I downloaded it, and I actually read it. Good story. Let's hope TSO puts it to music this year.