Thousand Steps Trail - Mt. Union/Huntington/Raystown Area

Posted by: HappyCamper2

Thousand Steps Trail - Mt. Union/Huntington/Raystown Area - 03/12/13 06:08 PM

lift
Better be in decent shape for this hike! Have you ever been on the way to Lake Raystown and notice that parking lot along the road in Mt Union that is always full? That is the trailhead to Thousand Steps on Jack's Mountain. This is a rigorous climb so if you are not in tip top shape, take your time and make sure you are not traveling alone. The trail is quite rocky but once to the top, the views are amazing, especially in the fall months. Wear proper footwear!
http://raystown.org/attractions/1000-steps.html
Posted by: Grizzly Girl

Re: Thousand Steps Trail - Mt. Union/Huntington/Raystown Area - 03/12/13 07:55 PM

I think I passed that today is it along route 22 on the west bound lane
Posted by: Lerch RV

Re: Thousand Steps Trail - Mt. Union/Huntington/Raystown Area - 03/13/13 09:34 AM

And seriously watch for snakes...

Re: Thousand Steps Trail - Mt. Union/Huntington/Raystown Area - 03/13/13 07:37 PM

Yes Grizzly.....and yes Lerch, rattlers like that area for sure.
Posted by: Grizzly Girl

Re: Thousand Steps Trail - Mt. Union/Huntington/Raystown Area - 03/13/13 08:37 PM

Cool I had no idea it was there and I used to drive that road twice a week a while back. It is amazing just what you notice when you haven't traveled on a road for a couple of years.
Posted by: pyromug

Re: Thousand Steps Trail - Mt. Union/Huntington/Raystown Area - 03/14/13 08:23 PM

I made it about a hundred steps up! :) My hubby and son went the whole way. The only thing I saw (as I waited on a step) was a little lizard! BTW...if you kayak, my favorite stretch of river is not far from there...put in at Corbins Island below Raystown Dam and take out at the point in Huntingdon...

Re: Thousand Steps Trail - Mt. Union/Huntington/Raystown Area - 03/15/13 06:53 PM

Sounds like fun! I have never used a kayak, but hubby and I would like to try it sometime.....thanks for the info!